Health Literacy Fact Sheets
This series of nine fact sheets (listed below)
was created for those who are designing patient education materials for consumers with low health literacy skills. The sheets define health literacy, describe its impact on health outcomes, provide strategies to prepare appropriate educational materials to assist low-literate consumers, and provide resources for additional health literacy information and publications.
- What is Health Literacy?
- Who has Health Literacy Problems?
- Impact of Low Literacy Skills on Annual Health Care Expenditures
- Health Literacy and Understanding Medical Information
- Strategies to Assist Low-Literate Health Care Consumers
- Preparing Patient Education Materials
- Tools to Evaluate Patient Education Materials
- Health Communication and Cultural Diversity
- Resources for Health Literacy Information and Publications