CHCS is valued by health care stakeholders across the country for its ability to make critical connections between innovative ideas and current policies. For a compass, we follow a set of Core Tenets that guide our day-to-day work — both internally and externally.
- We invest in people, relationships, and teamwork. We are a trusted, responsive, and astute partner – our receptiveness to funders, clients, and internal colleagues builds strong relationships, reinforces teamwork, and enables our success.
- We strive to achieve equity. Across our work and in our workplace, we seek to reflect the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion — doing so is core to our mission in making the health care system work for more people, particularly those who have been marginalized by systemic inequities.
- We innovate like social entrepreneurs. Our work seeks to identify gaps and improve health care for the millions of people in the U.S. enrolled in Medicaid.
- We think nationally but act locally. We see the big policy picture but tailor ideas and programs to unique state and community-level politics, delivery systems, and organizations.
- We create opportunities for collaboration and shared learning. We are a catalyst for brokering new relationships, ideas, and best practices across county, state, and federal agencies, delivery systems, providers, and consumer groups.
- We encourage dialectic. We challenge the status quo and consider the full range of possibilities before reaching conclusions. Our ideas evolve accordingly.
- We attend to nuance and embrace ambiguity. There is no one map for getting our work done; we listen carefully and improvise to find the path that will succeed in a particular place and time.
- We set a high bar. We are committed to building our expertise, staying ahead of the curve, and achieving excellence across all our work.
- We take the long view. We see past obstacles and stay focused on promoting the best care for people served by Medicaid, now and into the future.