Expanding access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM) is a key way for states to improve diabetes care and reduce health inequities for high-risk populations. CGM use is the standard of care for insulin-treated people with diabetes and widespread use of and access to CGMs can improve clinical quality and health outcomes, reduce health care costs, and support health equity efforts.
As of May 2023, 45 states and D.C. have some level of CGM coverage in Medicaid. Yet, even when CGMs are covered, guidelines and restrictions can potentially create unintended consequences that may worsen disparities in health outcomes for people with diabetes.
With support from The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust, the Center for Health Care Strategies (CHCS) is leading Accelerating Access to Continuous Glucose Monitors in Medicaid to Improve Diabetes Care, an initiative to support states in increasing the number of Medicaid beneficiaries who can obtain and use a CGM to improve their health and well-being. As part of this effort, CHCS launched the CGM Policy Navigator, a unique opportunity providing short-term, targeted technical support to states and territories seeking to increase access to CGMs in Medicaid.
The CGM Policy Navigator provides states with access to:
- Subject Matter Experts – National clinical and policy leaders who can provide strategic policy and program design guidance and best practice insights.
- Gap and Utilization Analysis – Evaluation of state policies and programs to identify gaps in CGM coverage and barriers to access for Medicaid members.
- Curated Resources – Library of materials — ranging from peer-reviewed articles to policy briefs — to inform state strategies aimed at increasing CGM access.
- Peer Exchange – Connections with other states that are implementing similar policies or programs to share ideas, challenges, and strategies.
- Stakeholder Engagement Planning – Sample materials to support program implementation, member engagement, and increasing stakeholder buy-in for new CGM coverage policies.
State staff can email CGMAccess@chcs.org to submit a request for CGM Policy Navigator support or to learn more about available supports.