- Core Functionality: Referral management,Appointment adherence/ scheduling,Communications/ information sharing,Addresses social determinants of health,Consumer engagement/ behavior change,Care coordination,Service provider registry,Data and analytics,Reporting
- Target Populations: Frequent emergency department users,Medicaid beneficiaries,Uninsured individuals,Homeless individuals,People with behavioral health needs,People with multiple chronic conditions,People with disabilities,People with intellectual/ developmental disabilities,People with substance use disorders,Medicare beneficiaries,Limited-English,Immigrants/ migrant workers
- Users: Care team members (e.g., social workers, care managers),Medical providers,Behavioral health providers,Referral management specialists,Payers (e.g., states, health insurers/MCOs),Home health care providers,Long-term care providers,Intellectual/ developmental disability services providers,Social service providers,Other health professionals (e.g., occupational therapists, dietitians, speech pathologists)
ER Connect is a cloud-based solution that is designed to streamline information exchange and facilitate direct referrals. Information exchange falls into three types:
- Hospital discharges – helping uninsured and Medicaid patients establish continuity of care with a medical home after a hospital stay or emergency department visit;
- Specialist referrals – streamlining pre-authorizations for quicker access to services — enabling bi-directional data-sharing for timely, high-quality care; and
- Community coordination – connecting vulnerable populations with housing, transportation, food banks, and other social services to address social determinants of health.
ER Connect has been implemented in hospital emergency departments (EDs), inpatient units, and community partners across San Diego, California. Hospitals have found that ER Connect improves throughput, keeps more ED beds open for patients who have emergent needs, and uninsured and Medicaid patients are better able to establish care with a primary care physician. Additionally, ER Connect has been successfully used with behavioral health patients.
Family Health Centers of San Diego; Scripps Health, Sharp HealthCare; UC San Diego Health; Planned Parenthood; 2-1-1 San Diego
Updated: January 2020
The Digital Health Products for Complex Population database is provided for general informational purposes only. Products are presented without any guarantee regarding accuracy or completeness. Users of this database are responsible for independently verifying all information. Inclusion of any company, service, or product in this database does not imply endorsement by the Center for Health Care Strategies. CHCS makes no effort to verify information on websites linked to outside of www.chcs.org.