Health care providers are the face of the U.S. health care delivery system, playing a central role in delivering the care and services that patients need to support health and well-being. However, providers must navigate ongoing evolution within the health care system related to care, financing models, and an increasing pressure to improve patient outcomes and reduce health disparities. Providers must adapt quickly and often with limited resources and guidance. COVID-19 has further amplified these challenges. Despite their critical role, leadership development programs for providers are limited — particularly within community health centers serving populations that have been marginalized.
In response to this need, the Center for Health Care Strategies is partnering with L.A. Care Health Plan to offer the Provider Leadership Program. This unique professional development program is designed to equip Los Angeles County providers with the practical leadership and management skills necessary to effect transformational change within their health centers and ultimately improve patient care and health outcomes.
The goal of the Provider Leadership Program is to enhance the capacity of providers in established and emerging leadership roles by helping them to:
- Leverage insight about their leadership styles to increase their impact and effectiveness;
- Gain new knowledge about the health systems within which they work and how they can influence the success of these systems;
- Expand their capacities to articulate and advance a leadership vision and agenda;
- Build supportive relationships with fellow L.A. County clinical leaders; and
- Engage with senior leaders within L.A. Care and L.A. County health clinics.
The six-month program supports a cohort of Los Angeles County providers employed by safety net provider organizations that are contracted with L.A. Care Health Plan. Through this leadership development program, selected providers have the opportunity to participate in a range of leadership activities, including:
- Individual leadership assessments and personalized development plan;
- One-on-one coaching sessions to support their development plan;
- Leadership projects to apply skills gained to real-time challenges; and
- Virtual seminars to delve into key leadership skills with expert trainers and peer case studies.