Not-for-profit Safety Net Health Plans coordinate health care delivery for individuals with low incomes, including people affected by overlapping systems of oppression (e.g., racism, sexism, ableism). This critical role provides an opportunity for health plans to advance health equity for their members and communities.
The Health Equity Learning Collaborative, led by the Association for Community Affiliated Plans (ACAP) in partnership with the Center for Health Care Strategies (CHCS), is convening ACAP-affiliated Safety Net Health Plans interested in advancing health equity for their members by identifying and reducing health disparities.
The learning collaborative aims to:
- Support Safety Net Health Plans to enhance health equity for their members and communities by identifying and reducing health disparities;
- Facilitate learning via peer-to-peer engagement and technical assistance to help advance health equity goals; and
- Tailor strategies to assets, context, and needs of members and communities served by Safety Net Health Plans.
Project Activities and Participants
Over two years, CHCS will assist 15 participating plans in developing or strengthening a health equity strategic plan based on local assets, context, and needs. Participants will also enhance responsiveness to community and member needs, as well as state agency priorities. Participating plans will have access to experts in the field; resources for developing actionable strategies to advance health equity; peer-to-peer engagement to share best practices; and tailored technical assistance to support implementation.
Participating sites include:
- AmeriHealth Caritas (DC, DE, LA, NC, NH, MI, PA, SC)
- Banner Health (AZ)
- CareOregon (OR)
- CenCal Health (CA)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance (MA)
- Community First Health Plans (TX)
- Community Health Network of Connecticut (CT)
- Community Health Plan of Washington (WA)
- Driscoll Health Plan (TX)
- Fallon Health (MA)
- Kern Health Systems (CA)
- Partners Health Management (NC)
- Partnership HealthPlan of California (CA)
- South Country Health Alliance (MN)
- VNSNY CHOICE (NY)