CalAIM, launched in 2022, is California’s Medicaid transformation initiative designed to provide members with more coordinated, person-centered, equitable care. Community Supports, a foundational feature of CalAIM, includes 14 optional managed care services that address health-related social needs like food and housing insecurity. Some Community Supports, including Housing Transition Navigation Services, Housing Deposits, and Housing Tenancy and Sustaining Services, were widely used in CalAIM’s first year according to implementation data, while other services received less traction.
This webinar series, made possible by the California Health Care Foundation, will help inform uptake of Community Supports by spotlighting early adopters of services that have not been widely adopted. The webinars will highlight provider-plan relationships with the aim of amplifying promising practices for increasing Community Supports uptake across all 14 services. Each implementation-focused webinar will discuss:
- Why is the service important for advancing health or person-centered care? What gap does it fill in the continuum of care for people with complex needs?
- Who are the key partners/referrers for successful implementation?
- How do partners operationalize the service? When should it be offered? For how long?
- What payment mechanisms or other considerations (e.g., presumptive authorization) support successful operationalization?
Lessons can inform stakeholders in California and others across the country seeking to improve health care services for people with complex health and social needs through similar in lieu of services. Featured Community Supports may include day habilitation, sobering centers, nursing facility transition/diversion, environmental accessibility modifications, asthma remediation, and short-term post-hospitalization housing.
- Day Habilitation and Sobering Centers in Orange County: CalAIM Community Supports Early Adopters (Jan. 9, 2024, 10:30 am – 12:00 pm PT/ 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm ET)
- To hear about upcoming webinars in this series, register for CHCS e-mail updates.